U.S. AMATEUR FOUR-BALL
Meet the Semifinalists
May 28, 2019 | Bandon, Ore.
By Brian DePasquale, USGA
Scott Harvey, 40, of Kernersville, N.C.
- Born May 30, 1978, in Greensboro, N.C.
- No. 779 in World Amateur Golf Ranking™
- Earned No. 7 seed with partner Todd Mitchell after posting rounds of 65-66 in stroke play
- Recorded a 2-and-1 win over 2016 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball runners-up (Brandon Cigna, Ben Warnquist) in Round of 16
- Posted a 3-and-2 victory over Derek Ackerman & Matthew McCarty, the No. 2 seed, in the quarterfinals
- Has played in all five U.S. Amateur Four-Balls and also advanced to semifinals in 2015
- Won the 2014 U.S. Mid-Amateur and was the 2016 U.S. Mid-Amateur runner-up
- Member of the 2015 USA Walker Cup Team
- Competing in his 30th USGA championship and played in the 2017 U.S. Open at Erin Hills
- Works as a property manager
Todd Mitchell, 40, of Bloomington, Ill.
- Born Aug. 12, 1978 in Bloomington, Ill.
- No. 3,072 in World Amateur Golf Ranking™
- Earned No. 7 seed with partner Scott Harvey after posting rounds of 65-66 in stroke play
- Harvey and Mitchell upended the No. 2 seed (Ackerman & McCarty) in the quarterfinals and defeated the 2016 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball runners-up (Cigna & Warnquist) in Round of 16
- Mitchell & Harvey are one of two sides to compete in all five U.S. Amateur Four-Balls
- Runner-up to Steve Wilson in the 2008 U.S. Mid-Amateur
- Competing in his 29th USGA championship
- Did not play college golf but was a shortstop on the Illinois State baseball team
- Chosen in the 14th round of the 1999 MLB Draft by the New York Yankees
- Works as an insurance agent
Vince Kwon, 25, of Marlton, N.J.
- Born Oct. 5, 1993 in the Republic of Korea
- No. 4,940 in World Amateur Golf Ranking™
- Earned No. 3 seed with partner Troy Vannucci after posting rounds of 64-64 in stroke play
- Kwon & Vannucci, who are playing in their first USGA championship, were co-medalists with two other teams
- Defeated 2017 U.S. Mid-Amateur champion Matt Parziale and his partner, Herbie Aikens, in quarterfinals, 3 and 2
- Self-taught golfer who finished 10th in last year’s New Jersey State Open
- Tied for 17th in the 2018 New Jersey State Amateur at Echo Lake Country Club
- Won 2012 Camden County Scholastic title as a senior at Cherry Hill East High School
- Plays acoustic and electrical guitar
Troy Vannucci, 27, of Marlton, N.J.
- Born Oct. 16, 1991 in San Antonio, Texas
- No. 3,067 in World Amateur Golf Ranking™
- Earned No. 3 seed with partner Vince Kwon after posting rounds of 64-64 in stroke play
- He and Kwon, who are playing in their first USGA championship, were co-medalists
- Vannucci made 25-foot uphill putt on 18th hole to win Round-of-32 match against M. Tyler McKeever & Steven Groover
- Tied for third in the 2018 New Jersey State Open and shared low amateur
- Tied for 17th in last year’s New Jersey State Amateur
- Advanced to match play in the 2018 Philadelphia Amateur
- Recorded his lowest competitive round last year with a 64 at Little Mill Country Club where he and Kwon are members
- Employed by a company that builds running tracks and athletic turf fields
Andrew Medley, 39, of Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Born Dec. 28, 1979 in Jackson, Miss.
- Not ranked in World Amateur Golf Ranking™
- Earned No. 4 seed with partner Taylor Wood after posting rounds of 65-64 in stroke play
- Medley & Wood defeated last year’s U.S. Amateur Four-Ball semifinalists (Carson Barry & Sam Tidd) in the Round of 32
- Playing in his third USGA championship and second U.S. Amateur Four-Ball
- Advanced to match play in 2017 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball with partner Ken Tanigawa, who won the 2019 Senior PGA Championship
- Reached the Round of 16 in the 2009 U.S. Mid-Amateur
- Played as a collegian at the University of Mississippi and University of Arizona (senior year)
- Managing director for a commercial real estate firm
Taylor Wood, 35, of Coto de Caza, Calif.
- Born Oct. 5, 1983 in Newport Beach, Calif.
- No. 5,952 in World Amateur Golf Ranking™
- Earned No. 4 seed with partner Andrew Medley after posting rounds of 65-64 in stroke play
- Wood & Medley defeated their Round-of-16 and quarterfinal opponents by identical 2-and-1 decisions
- Qualified for match play with partner Jordan Nasser in two U.S. Amateur Four-Balls (2015, 2017)
- Competing in his seventh USGA championship, including the 2006 U.S. Open at Winged Foot
- All-Pac-12 Conference selection at the University of Southern California in 2006
- Finished seventh individually in the 2005 NCAA Division I Championship
- Senior managing director for a commercial real estate firm
Logan Shuping, 21, of Salisbury, N.C.
- Born Sept. 10, 1997 in Salisbury, N.C.
- Not ranked in World Amateur Golf Ranking™
- Earned No. 17 seed with partner Blake Taylor after posting rounds of 65-68 in stroke play
- Capped his team’s 2-up quarterfinal win over Bobby Leopold & Tyler Cooke by hitting his approach on No. 18 to 8 inches for a conceded birdie
- Competing in his first USGA championship
- Recently finished his junior season as a member of the East Carolina University team
- Runner-up in North Carolina 3A state championship in 2015 and 2016
- Two-time Rowan County Boys Golfer of the Year
- His uncle won four varsity letters as a member of the Pfeiffer University golf team
Blake Taylor, 21, of Wilmington, N.C.
- Born Jan. 13, 1998 in Atkinson, N.C.
- No. 618 in World Amateur Golf Ranking™
- Earned No. 17 seed with partner Logan Shuping after posting rounds of 65-68 in stroke play
- Hit a pitching wedge to within 4 feet to set up the winning birdie putt in a 1-up victory over Andrew Noto & James Fuselier in the Round of 16
- Played in two USGA championships, including the 2017 U.S. Amateur
- American Athletic Conference all-conference honoree in 2018 and 2019 while playing for East Carolina University
- Tied for 10th in this year’s AAC Championship and posted five top-10 finishes
- Medalist in 2015 NCCSA state high school championship and was an all-state selection
- Wilmington Star-News Boys Golfer of the Year
- Played in the PGA Tour’s 2018 Military Tribute at the Greenbrier as a Monday qualifier