Handicapping FAQs

Section 5

Posting a Score From a Foreign Golf Course

Q.  How do I post a score made on a foreign golf course for handicap posting purposes?

A.  The USGA® licenses many foreign golf associations to utilize the USGA Course Rating System™. A comprehensive listing of licensed associations may be found at: Authorized Foreign Golf Associations.

We recommend contacting the club(s) where you will be playing (or have played) and request the Course Rating™ and Slope Rating®. If this is not feasible, the foreign golf association’s Web site may have this information. If the foreign golf course has a valid Course Rating and Slope Rating, then this score can be posted for handicap purposes- if made in the association’s active season. If no ratings are available (or if there is not a foreign golf association authorized by the USGA in the country), then this score is not acceptable for handicap posting purposes.

Section 5-1e of the USGA Handicap System manual states that a course must have a Course Rating and Slope Rating in order to be posted for handicap purposes. Unfortunately, there is not a way to convert another rating system (such as the Standard Scratch Score “SSS” System) to the USGA Course Rating System.

Please visit Section 5-1e of the USGA Handicap System manual for further reference.