Whether you are passionate about the Rules of Golf, serve on a tournament committee at home or would even like to try becoming a volunteer USGA Rules official, the USGA provides a variety of ways to expand your Rules knowledge.
Since 1975, The PGA of America and the United States Golf Association, working together to support the best interests of the game, have offered to the public a series of workshops on the Rules of Golf. These PGA-USGA Rules of Golf Workshops are open to the public and bring together several of the foremost Rules of Golf educators in the game, with the goal of making the Rules accessible to anyone who wishes to learn more about them or sharpen their existing knowledge. There will be three different types of sessions:
- Rules of Golf Workshop: Between Jan. 4-7 and March 24-27, there will be 17 3½-day workshops in 15 states dedicated to covering all 34 Rules of Golf, unabridged and in detail.
- “85+” Rules of Golf Workshop: From Jan. 20-23, a 3½-day workshop in Phoenix, Ariz., will cover all 34 Rules of Golf, unabridged and in detail, for individuals who have scored 85 or higher in the past six years on the 100-question PGA-USGA Rules of Golf exam given in conjunction with all 3½-day workshops.
- Officiating and Tournament Administration Workshop: From March 16-19, 2017, a 3½-day workshop covering officiating techniques, golf course setup and marking for competitions and tournament administration will take place in Carlsbad, Calif.
The cost to register is $350. The registration fee covers the cost of the workshop sessions; a continental breakfast each morning starting by 7:15 a.m.; complimentary coffee, tea, water and soft drinks during scheduled breaks; a cocktail-and-hors d’oeuvres reception at the conclusion of the workshop’s first day, and study materials. All attendees will receive The Rules of Golf; The Decisions on the Rules of Golf; The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf, by Richard S. Tufts; and online access to USGA University, where attendees can review materials as well as take exercises and practice exams. All attendees are responsible for paying for transportation, lodging and other incidental expenses. Register here!
Want to know more about the Rules of Golf? Check out the Rules of Golf Experience, the USGA’s newest Rules learning tool, which includes:
- Interactive lessons, featuring videos, animations, diagrams and images
- Easy-to-understand language with real-world examples
- Test-your-knowledge questions to reinforce what you have learned
- Myths and lists to dispel common rumors
Still looking for more? Download our free mobile app for iOS or Android and check out our Rules Education page! (http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/education.html)