Championship Office Administration (1 position)
Pebble Beach Golf Links | Pebble Beach, CA
Position Timeframe: May 6, 2019 – June 28, 2019
Are you looking to join a dynamic team who works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf? The U.S. Open Championship internship is a great way to gain valuable experience in sports management. Whether you work in Merchandising, Operations, Championship Administration or Will Call, you will gain valuable experience and see firsthand how an exemplary golf championship is conducted.
The 119th U.S. Open Championship will be held at Pebble Beach. Pebble Beach will ring in its centennial birthday in 2019, second time the USGA and PBC will celebrate a centennial together (the first was in 2000 for the 100th playing of the U.S. Open). It is easy to get caught up in the views at Pebble Beach with it being adjacent to Stillwater Cove and Carmel Bay with Carmel Highlands in the background.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
The Championship Office is a fast paced working environment. The Championship Office Administration Intern must have the ability to work under pressure and handle many tasks at one time. Each day brings new challenges and interns must have top-notch organizational and communication skills. On a daily basis, the intern will find themselves working in a typical office environment as well as significant work done in exterior environs. The ability to handle physical tasks such as lifting boxes and manual labor may be required at times. In the weeks leading up to the Championship, the intern will work at least (40) hour work weeks; however, as we grow closer to the Championship, work weeks will lengthen to sixty plus hours (60+) and will include weekends. An internship with the United States Golf Association and the 2019 U.S. Open Championship is a tremendous first step for a career in the fields of special event management and professional sports.
The Championship Office Administration Intern will assist with the day-to-day administrative management of the Championship Office for the 2019 U.S. Open Championship, including advance preparation/set-up, Championship week responsibilities and post-championship breakdown.
- Answering phones, preparing mailings, opening incoming mail, UPS shipping/receiving.
- Answering incoming e-mails to the 2019 U.S. Open email account.
- Quickly gain knowledge of the scope of the Championships and location of facilities, vendors, etc. in order to accurately and timely respond to all inquiries.
- Become familiar with various functions within the USGA Championship Office in order to identify appropriate area for assistance and resolution of any issues.
- Coordinate staff meal plans for USGA Championship Office, Operations Office and Volunteer Office, starting pre-championship until the opening of USGA Hospitality.
- Maintain all necessary office supplies and order items as necessary. May require local trips to pick-up any critical items as needed.
- Assist with scheduling meetings including room location, appropriate set-up, etc. as necessary.
- Assist in the taking and distributing of notes for Championship Office meetings as necessary.
- Assist in break-down of USGA Championship Office to include packing and shipping all items as necessary. Delivering items to various locations as required.
The intern will handle special projects which will arise in the months leading up to championship and during the event.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE USGA:
- Ability to work long and strenuous hours (40 – 60+ hour work week)
- Effective communication with a wide variety of individuals involved in a national championship
- Resourceful, presentable, courteous, friendly and organized
- Good follow-up skills and ability to handle issues quickly and calmly
- Ability to work independently and support the team
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office software - above average knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, & PowerPoint
- Ability to prepare presentations to include PowerPoint and printed material
- Demonstrated ability to follow and execute detailed plans – able to anticipate and analyze problems and provide logical solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure
To apply, please submit materials to: 2019 U.S. Open Championship Office Administration Intern
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Intern may perform other duties as assigned.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the USGA:
The USGA conducts the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Senior Open and U.S. Senior Women’s Open, as well as 10 national amateur championships, two state team championships and international matches. Together with The R&A, the USGA governs the game worldwide, jointly administering the Rules of Golf, Rules of Amateur Status, Equipment Standards and World Amateur Golf Rankings.
The USGA is a global leader in the development and support of sustainable golf course management practices. It serves as a primary steward for the game’s history and funds an ongoing “For the Good of the Game” charitable giving program. Additionally, the USGA’s Course Rating and Handicap systems are used on six continents in more than 50 countries.