118th U.S. Open Internship
Volunteer Administration Intern
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club | Southampton, New York
Position Timeframe: May 1, 2018-June 22, 20172018
Are you looking to join a dynamic team who works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf? The U.S. Open Championship internship is a great way to gain valuable experience in sports management. Whether you work in Merchandising, Operations, Championship Administration or Will Call, you will gain valuable experience and see firsthand how an exemplary golf championship is conducted.
The 118th U.S. Open Championship will be held at Erin Hills, which will be hosting its first U.S. Open Championship and its third USGA championship. Routed over the kettle moraine areas left by glaciers, surrounded by wetlands and a river and with ground that consists of glacial till of varied composition of sand and small rock, the mix of traditional and modern elements at Erin Hills will truly provide a championship test.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
The 118th U.S. Open Championship will be held at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, which will be hosting its fifth U.S. Open Championship and its ninth USGA championship. Founded in 1891, Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is one of the most historic and iconic golf venues in the world. It is the oldest incorporated golf club and was one of the five founding member clubs of the USGA.
The Volunteer Administration Intern will assist with the volunteer program and administrative duties of the 118th U.S. Open Championship, including advance preparation/set-up, Championship week responsibilities and post-championship breakdown.
The Volunteer Program for the 118th U.S. Open consists of more than 5,000 volunteers assigned to 20 volunteer committees. Duties will include:
- Assisting with volunteer training including: organizing training session materials and credential packets, volunteer handbooks, and the distribution of volunteer credentials along with other important information.
- Managing the concerns, questions and requests of volunteers before and during the Championship.
- Setting up, organizing and tearing down volunteer areas on Championship grounds.
- Assisting with organizing all aspects of set-up and function of temporary USGA Volunteer Office unit.
Volunteer Administration Intern will assist with the administrative tasks of the Championship Office. Such tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Answering phones, preparing mailings, opening incoming mail, UPS shipping/receiving.
- Answering incoming e-mails to the 118th U.S. Open email account.
- Quickly gain knowledge of the scope of the Championships and location of facilities, vendors, etc. in order to accurately and timely respond to all inquiries.
- Become familiar with various functions within the USGA Championship Office in order to identify appropriate area for assistance and resolution of any issues.
- Maintain all necessary office supplies and order items as necessary. May require local trips to pick-up any critical items as needed.
Volunteer Administration Intern will handle special projects which will arise in the weeks leading up to Championship and during the event. These projects could include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating trips to and from specified destinations.
- Organizing the exchange and distribution of volunteer apparel.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE USGA:
- Ability to work long and strenuous hours (40 – 60+ hour work week)
- Effective communication with a wide variety of individuals involved in a national championship
- Resourceful, presentable, courteous, friendly and organized
- Good follow-up skills and ability to handle issues quickly and calmly
- Ability to work independently and support the team
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office software - above average knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, & PowerPoint
- Ability to prepare presentations to include PowerPoint and printed material
- Demonstrated ability to follow and execute detailed plans – able to anticipate and analyze problems and provide logical solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure
To apply, please submit materials to: U.S. Open Short Term Volunteer Administration Internship
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Intern may perform other duties as assigned.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the USGA:
The USGA conducts the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Senior Open and U.S. Senior Women’s Open, as well as 10 national amateur championships, and international matches. Together with The R&A, the USGA governs the game worldwide, jointly administering the Rules of Golf, Rules of Amateur Status, Equipment Standards and World Amateur Golf Rankings.
The USGA is a global leader in the development and support of sustainable golf course management practices. It serves as a primary steward for the game’s history and funds an ongoing “For the Good of the Game” charitable giving program. Additionally, the USGA’s Course Rating and Handicap systems are used on six continents in more than 50 countries.