Equipment Permitted Conditionally for Medical Reasons
General Guidelines For Obtaining Permission To Use Equipment Permitted Conditionally For Medical Reasons Or To Proceed Under Exception 1 To Rule 14-3 At USGA Competitions Only
- All such requests and required medical documentation must be submitted to and received by the USGA within three days of submitting the entry application online. Phone submissions are not accepted. The request and associated documentation should be sent by overnight courier to the attention of the Director, Equipment Rules & Conformance, USGA Research and Test Center, 77 Liberty Corner Road, Far Hills, New Jersey, 07931 or via facsimile to the attention of the Director, Equipment Rules & Conformance at (908) 234-1603.
- If a player is diagnosed with a condition related to a device on the List after the closing time and date of entries set forth on the particular entry form and the player wishes to use the device during a USGA competition, or the player wishes to proceed under Exception 1 to Rule 14-3, the player must submit a formal request, as specified below, to the Director, Equipment Rules & Conformance as soon as possible prior to the event. In addition to the information required below, the player must include proof that the condition was diagnosed after the entry submission date.
- Written requests should include the following information:
- Documentation from a treating physician, physical therapist or other medical professional describing the player's condition (i.e., medical record, letter, etc.) and how the device affects the player's ability to play golf.
- The product manufacturer and product name identified on the List that the player wishes to use, or if not a mass-manufactured device, the name and contact information of the maker of the device.
- Photographs, diagrams and/or product specifications of the device and photographs and/or diagrams of the device when used.
- If necessary, a sample of the device for physical evaluation (may be returned upon completion of the evaluation).
If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact the Director, Equipment Rules & Conformance, USGA Research & Test Center at (908) 234-2300.
Requests for local and regional competitions, other than local and regional USGA qualifiers, should be made directly to the local or regional competition committee.