Equipment Permitted Conditionally for Medical Reasons
General Guidelines For Obtaining Permission To Use Equipment Permitted Conditionally For Medical Reasons Or To Proceed Under Exception 1 To Rule 14-3 At USGA Competitions Only
- All such requests and required medical documentation must be submitted to and received by the USGA within three days of submitting the entry application online. Phone submissions are not accepted. The request and associated documentation should be sent by overnight courier to the attention of the Manager, Equipment Standards, USGA Research and Test Center, 77 Liberty Corner Road, Far Hills, New Jersey, 07931 or via facsimile to the attention of the Manager, Equipment Standards at (908) 234-1603.
- If a player is diagnosed with a condition related to a device on the List after the closing time and date of entries set forth on the particular entry form and the player wishes to use the device during a USGA competition, or the player wishes to proceed under Exception 1 to Rule 14-3, the player must submit a formal request, as specified below, to the Manager, Equipment Standards as soon as possible prior to the event. In addition to the information required below, the player must include proof that the condition was diagnosed after the closing time and date of entries.
- Written requests should include the following information:
- Documentation from a treating physician, physical therapist or other medical professional describing the player's condition (i.e., medical record, letter, etc.) and how the device affects the player's ability to play golf.
- The product manufacturer and product name identified on the List that the player wishes to use.
- Contact information for the medical professional providing the documentation.
- The following authorization must be included in the player's cover letter to the USGA:
I authorize the USGA, its designated agents and any medical professionals participating in the review process to contact my health care provider(s) regarding my condition, which I believe qualifies me to use the product specified in my request.
I also authorize my health care provider(s) to communicate with the USGA, its designated agents and any medical professionals participating in the review process to provide clarification or further information as may be necessary for the USGA to make a determination regarding my request. I authorize the release of any documentation, medical records, or other information relating to my condition in connection with my request for use of the specified product.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact the Equipment Standards Manager, USGA Research & Test Center at (908) 234-2300.
Requests for local and regional competitions, other than local and regional USGA qualifiers, should be made directly to the local or regional competition committee.