Onward And Upward In 2012
By R.A. (Bob) Brame, director, North Central RegionJanuary 3, 2012
The milder winter weather pattern has allowed projects to be extended longer than expected. For courses in the southern portion of the region, routine maintenance like mowing putting greens also has continued into December. It will be interesting to see if the milder pattern stays in place as predicted. Agronomically, it is always better to plan for harsh conditions as opposed to needing milder weather to make it through the season.
New Year’s resolutions are guiding the day, and no doubt some have already broken or discarded their resolve and moved on. Yet, reflecting on the past to enhance the future can be a worthwhile process. What worked in 2011? What didn’t work and needs to be adjusted? Will we see a more pronounced upswing in rounds being played? Will there be more funds available for course maintenance? The golf turf maintenance industry continues to be impacted by multiple variables, not the least of which is an ongoing tough economy. This serves to underline the importance of prioritization, which is directly tied to formal maintenance standards that have been established and agreed upon by all of the decision makers. Adjustments can then be made, when needed, with much less chance of compromising agronomic sustainability.
On a more personal note, the following are worth reviewing as we move into 2012.
- Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift – use your time wisely.
- Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good – no whining.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously, no one else does – lighten up.
- Don’t compare your life to others – you have no idea what their journey is all about.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you’re sick – guard time with family and friends.
- Over prepare, then go with the flow – do your best every day.
- You don’t have to win every argument, agree to disagree – yield.
- Spend time outside every day – play more golf.
We are looking forward to working with you and your course in 2012. A mailing that outlines the Turf Advisory Service options for the coming years will be sent out over the next five to six weeks to all courses in our database. Feel free to call us before or after you receive the correspondence. Aside from the mailing, onsite visit scheduling can be initiated anytime.
All the very best in 2012 and beyond.
Source: Bob Brame, email@example.com or 859.356.3272