Plans are set for the 2010 USGA SE Regional Conference at the Pinehurst Resort, Pinehurst, NC for Tuesday, March 16th. This event will be held in partnership with the Carolinas Golf Course Superintendents Association, Carolinas Golf Association, and the South Carolina Golf Association. The meeting would be beneficial for anyone associated with golf, including superintendents, club managers, golf professionals, golf course owners, architects, Green and Golf Committees, and any golfer interested in learning more about the game of golf. Jackets are required for the men and registration fees and lunch are included in the $70 fee.
Early reservations are suggested, as this regional meeting historically sells out. Reservations are limited to 250 attendees. Register on-line at the CGCSA website (http://www.cgcsa.org) or forms are also available from the Carolinas GCSA or USGA SE Region offices. These can be faxed or mailed to the Carolinas GCSA office to complete the registration process.
Golf is available for attendees at Pinehurst Resort Course #8 on Monday, March 15th. Cost is $85 per person and includes tournament registration, green and cart fees, prizes, and reception. Registration is limited to 120 golfers and sign up also can be done at the Carolinas GCSA website.
The meeting features many speakers including:
- Ken Mangum, director of golf courses and grounds, Atlanta Athletic Club, discussing the grassing changes done at the Highlands Course for the upcoming 2011 PGA Championship
- Brad Klein, senior writer at Golfweek magazine, speaking about new ideas in golf architecture.
- Dr. Rick Brandenburg at NCSU, Nelson Caron, superintendent at the Ford Plantation
- Anthony Williams, director of golf courses and grounds, Stone Mountain Golf Club
- Dr. Joe DiPaola from Syngenta
- Tim Kreger of the CGCSA
- Chris Hartwiger of the USGA
- Dr. Earl Elsner
- Jim Hyler, president of the USGA.
Pesticide credits for superintendents and recertification points for PGA professionals will be available for attendees.