2018 U.S. Open Internship - Operations Short Term
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club | Southampton, NY
Position Timeframe: April 30th, 2018 through July 13th, 2018
Are you interested in joining a dynamic team that is an integral part of the USGA? The U.S. Open Championship internship is a great way to gain valuable experience in sports management. Whether you work in Merchandising, Operations, Championship or Will Call, you will gain valuable experience and see firsthand how an exemplary golf championship is run.
The 118th U.S. Open Championship will be held at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, which is a golf course in the north east United States, located in Southampton, New York, 90 miles east of New York City. The 2018 U.S. Open will mark the fifth time the course has hosted the national championship.
What You Can Expect:
Working at the U.S. Open, you will experience a fast paced work environment. Interns must have the ability to work under pressure and handle a multitude of responsibilities at one time. Each day brings new challenges and our interns must have top-notch organizational and communication skills. You will find yourself working in a typical office environment as well as performing a significant amount of work in exterior environs. The ability to handle some physical tasks such as lifting boxes and manual labor is required at times. In the weeks leading up to the Championship, interns work at least forty (40) hour work weeks; however, as we get closer to the Championship, work weeks lengthen to sixty plus hours (60+) and include weekends. An internship with the United States Golf Association and the 2018 U.S. Open Championship is a tremendous first step for a career in the fields of event management, professional sports or wherever your career may take you.
The Operations Interns assist the United States Golf Association with the operations of the 2018 U.S. Open Championship, including advance set-up, Championship week responsibilities, and post-Championship breakdown.
Additional duties include:
- Assist USGA staff with the advanced preparation of Championship facilities including construction, fence meshing, landscaping and painting
- Work with the USGA staff on the distribution of operational equipment (chairs, drink stands, furniture, office equipment, tables, water coolers, etc.)
- Assist vendors and USGA staff with tear-down and clean-up procedures following the completion of the Championship
- Assist the USGA operations staff with the preparation and set-up of on-site facilities (corporate hospitality, media center, vendor compounds, volunteer village, etc.)
- Work with USGA staff on providing assistance to vendors (construction, fencing, telephone installation, etc.)
- Work with USGA staff on installation and removal of all Championship signage
- Assist other U.S. Open departments with support, as necessary
What You Bring to the USGA:
- Able to think logically and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively express ideas and interact with a wide array of individuals in an exemplary manner consistent with USGA values
- Able to work well under pressure and assume full responsibility for projects
- Able to read and interpret manuals, diagrams, and schematics with a strong attention to all details of a project
- Able to lift heavy items (chairs, copiers, coolers, tables, etc.) (50+lbs)
- Able to set and meet high work standards for self and others while accomplishing tasks quickly and thoroughly
- Able to assemble, disassemble, repair, or modify structures and work with various tools and equipment (including but not limited to saws, drills, hammers, nails, screwdrivers, paint sprayers, box cutters, knives, motor vehicles/trucks/golf carts/etc.)
- Ensures a neat, clean, and safe work environment by cleaning work areas and discarding materials in the proper manner
- Able to work long and strenuous hours (50 - 100+ hour work weeks) including holidays and weekends
- Compliance with all USGA safety and operations policies, procedures, and practices
- Prior experience in golf tournament operations is a plus
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Intern may perform other duties as assigned.
Please click the following link to apply: 2018 U.S. Open Internship - Operations Short Term
About the USGA:
The USGA conducts the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and U.S. Senior Open, as well as 10 national amateur championships, two state team championships and international matches. Together with The R&A, the USGA governs the game worldwide, jointly administering the Rules of Golf, Rules of Amateur Status, Equipment Standards and World Amateur Golf Rankings. The USGA’s working jurisdiction comprises the United States, its territories and Mexico. .
The USGA is a global leader in the development and support of sustainable golf course management practices. It serves as a primary steward for the game’s history and funds an ongoing “For the Good of the Game” charitable giving program. Additionally, the USGA’s Course Rating and Handicap systems are used on six continents in more than 50 countries.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer