USGA Fan Clubhouse Short Term Internship (3 positions)
Shinnecock Hills, Southampton NY
Position Timeframe: Sunday, June 10, 2018- Monday, June 18, 2018
Are you interested in pursuing a career in sports marketing, communications, philanthropy, event management or the golf industry? Do you want to join a team dedicated to hosting one of the most preeminent sporting events? Be part of the action in the USGA Fan Clubhouse at the 2018 U.S. Open!
The USGA Fan Clubhouse at the U.S. Open is a great way to engage with fans, see the inner workings of one of the greatest competitions in golf, and gain real industry experience. You will see firsthand how an exemplary golf championship is conducted.
The USGA is extremely grateful for our many passionate, loyal, and enthusiastic fans, donors, members and volunteers. The USGA Fan Clubhouse is an exciting engagement experience designed to celebrate our supporters and showcase all the USGA is doing to drive golf forward. Located in Fan Central, the USGA Fan Clubhouse is sponsored by the USGA Foundation and will include live events, photo opportunities, online gaming, video walls, invite-only receptions and more.
The 118th U.S. Open Championship will be held at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, which will be hosting its fifth U.S. Open Championship and its ninth USGA championship. Founded in 1891, Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is one of the most historic and iconic golf venues in the world. It is the oldest incorporated golf club and was one of the five founding member clubs of the USGA.
This is a paid Internship. Support for housing and transportation can be provided; local candidates are encouraged. Uniform shirts, jacket, onsite credentials and parking will be provided.
What You Can Expect:
- Exposure to planning and involved with onsite U.S. Open fan engagement program:
o Greet fans and supporters
o Assist guests with activation stations and online “check-in”
o Support events and behind the scenes tours
o Conduct set-up and close of facility each day
o Complete an assignment at the end of the internship assessing your experience.
- Assist with special projects and presentations as needed
- Hours: 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM, Meals will be provided
What You Bring to the USGA:
- Preferred area of study include: marketing, communications, advertising or PR
- Service as a community volunteer and enthusiasm for values-centered work
- Effective communication with variety of individuals
- Hardworking, presentable, courteous and enthusiastic
- Ability to work well under pressure and long hours including overtime
- Comfortable with technology, social media and Microsoft office tools
- Knowledge of golf a plus
About the USGA Foundation
In 2017, the USGA Foundation is the member engagement and fundraising effort of the USGA. It’s purpose is to secure resources to invest in programs and innovative solutions that best serve golf for all who love and play it. The foundation supports the USGA’s programming in four key areas:
- Preparing golf’s next generation of leaders: The USGA is dedicated to identifying and developing new generations of diverse professional and volunteer leaders in the golf industry.
- Driving participation Engaging junior, new and disabled golfers: The USGA is committed to growing the game by providing a welcoming and accessible environment for all golfers. Special emphasis is placed on engaging junior, new, and disabled golfers.
- Investing in golf innovation: The USGA is investing in cutting-edge innovation and commissioning leading research to improve golfer satisfaction, enhance the playing experience and help golf facilities reduce their reliance on critical natural resources.
- Sharing golf’s greatest stories: The USGA celebrates and honors golf’s greatest champions, most memorable moments and iconic venues. We dedicate resources to protect and preserve the game’s historical treasures, whether they are entrusted to the USGA Golf Museum or reside in the collections and clubhouses of our many partners.
About the USGA
The USGA conducts the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and U.S. Senior Open, as well as 10 national amateur championships, two state team championships and international matches. Together with The R&A, the USGA governs the game worldwide, jointly administering the Rules of Golf, Rules of Amateur Status, Equipment Standards and World Amateur Golf Rankings.
The USGA is a global leader in the development and support of sustainable golf course management practices. It serves as a primary steward for the game’s history and funds an ongoing “For the Good of the Game” charitable giving program. Additionally, the USGA’s Course Rating and Handicap systems are used on six continents in more than 50 countries.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Intern may perform other duties as assigned.
To Apply: Please click the following link to apply: 2018 USGA Fan Clubhouse Short Term Internship
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer