Location: USGA Headquarters, Warren, NJ
Position Timeframe: May through August, 2017
From the USGA Handicap System to national amateur championships, to modernizing the delivery of the game’s Rules and supporting sustainable golf course management practices, the United States Golf Association promotes the health of a game that inspires, challenges, and rewards like nothing else can.
Are you looking to join a dynamic team that works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf? The USGA Public Relations Intern supports the execution of the USGA’s public relations strategy that will service the Association’s growing publicity needs of all non-championship related departments. The intern will have the opportunity to work with Marketing, Museum, Regional Affairs, Green Section, Rules and Equipment, Public Services, and Handicapping, while providing PR support to the USGA’s major championship platforms like the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Senior Open, and key amateur events.
This USGA Internship will also feature a Professional Development focus where you will have an opportunity to participate in Panel Discussions (Leadership & Former Interns), learn more about our broader organization by being exposed to "Day in the Life of" job overviews, complete and present a capstone project and engage in all-intern social events.
What you can expect:
- Execute proactive press tactics that advance the USGA’s brand and reputation with golfers, Members, Member Clubs, state and regional golf associations, allied associations, corporate partners and the general public, with an emphasis on promoting the Association’s governance activities, championships, core services and health of the game initiatives and programs.
- Write and edit press releases and other written material to support the USGA’s PR efforts, and coordinate the approval of all concerned parties involved in the process
- Help manage media relations processes (e.g., press release distribution, notification, maintaining press contact lists, USGA Daily News Clips, and measurement reporting, etc.)
- Organize materials related to public relations function (editorial calendars, media lists, press releases, reporter research, etc.)
What you bring to the USGA:
- A highly collaborative approach to getting work done - balanced with a commitment to excellence and speed.
- Knowledge of news/sports media across a range of sectors, including print, wires, broadcast, internet based and the social media.
- Outstanding writing and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to prioritize multiple demands on his/her time.
- External relationship building skills.
- Ability to design and execute ideas: plan, develop, communicate, track and measure.
Please click on the following link to apply: 2017 Public Relations Intern
About the USGA:
The USGA celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf worldwide. Founded in 1894, we conduct golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment and amateur status rules. Our operating jurisdiction for these governance functions includes the United States, its territories and Mexico. The USGA Handicap System is utilized in more than 40 countries and our Course Rating System covers 95 percent of the world’s golf courses, enabling all golfers to play on an equitable basis. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer