Location: USGA Headquarters, Warren, NJ
Position Timeframe: May through September, 2017
From the USGA Handicap System to national amateur championships, to modernizing the delivery of the game’s Rules and supporting sustainable golf course management practices, the United States Golf Association promotes the health of a game that inspires, challenges, and rewards like nothing else can.
Are you looking to join a dynamic team that works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf? The USGA Digital Technology Intern, a part of the Information Technology organization, will work with fellow technologists and be exposed to a variety of strategic initiatives that will change the way the public interacts with the game of golf. The intern’s skills and interests will be evaluated against different projects for best fit. It’s expected the intern will support creating documentation and participate in sprints as part of Agile methodology development. In addition, the intern will be able to contribute at some level to enhancements that involve coding and an understanding of the business request.
This USGA Internship will also feature a Professional Development focus where you will have an opportunity to participate in Panel Discussions (Leadership & Former Interns), learn more about our broader organization by being exposed to "Day in the Life of" job overviews, complete and present a capstone project and engage in all-intern social events.
What you can expect:
Digital Technology Team (80%)
- Work with a small, core of individuals focused on leading, governing, and supporting websites and mobile applications across multiple devices, including the digital properties related to the USGA’s pinnacle event, the U.S. Open. Other work focus is on enhancements to the USGA home website, usga.org, as well as contributing in the initial phases of a Golfer App, Rules of Golf App, Digital Publishing, and Digital Asset Management.
- Contribute high quality reusable code for front end and back end components.
- Example project: Altering the look and feel of the USGA home site, usga.org, based on new branding and marketing guidelines.
Enterprise Application Team (20%)
- Work with the Membership Engagement Program to learn about APIs and integration metadata that will be critical to digital applications
- Work with the Enterprise Application team to understand different processes and methodologies being used across the organization.
What you bring to the USGA:
- Actively pursuing a BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field.
- Familiar with both front end and back end application development.
- Solid customer service and interpersonal / communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Familiarity with USGA history and the golf industry in general is desirable.
Please click on the following link to apply Digital Technology Intern
About the USGA:
The USGA celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf worldwide. Founded in 1894, we conduct golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment and amateur status rules. Our operating jurisdiction for these governance functions includes the United States, its territories and Mexico. The USGA Handicap System is utilized in more than 40 countries and our Course Rating System covers 95 percent of the world’s golf courses, enabling all golfers to play on an equitable basis. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer