2017 U.S. Open Internship- Championship Office Administration Intern (1 position)
Position Timeframe: May 22, 2017-June 23, 2017
Are you looking to join a dynamic team who works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf? The U.S. Open Championship internship is a great way to gain valuable experience in sports management. Whether you work in Merchandising, Operations, Championship Administration or Will Call, you will gain valuable experience and see firsthand how an exemplary golf championship is conducted.
The 117th U.S. Open Championship will be held at Erin Hills which will be hosting its first U.S. Open Championship and its third USGA championship. Routed over the kettle moraine areas left by glaciers, surrounded by wetlands and a river and with ground that consists of glacial till of varied composition of sand and small rock, the mix of traditional and modern elements at Erin Hills will truly provide a championship test.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
The Championship Office is a fast paced working environment. The Championship Office Administration Intern must have the ability to work under pressure and handle many tasks at one time. Each day brings new challenges and interns must have top-notch organizational and communication skills. On a daily basis, the intern will find themselves working in a typical office environment as well as significant work done in exterior environs. The ability to handle physical tasks such as lifting boxes and manual labor may be required at times. In the weeks leading up to the Championship, the intern will work at least (40) hour work weeks; however, as we grow closer to the Championship, work weeks will lengthen to sixty plus hours (60+) and will include weekends. An internship with the United States Golf Association and the 2017 U.S. Open Championship is a tremendous first step for a career in the fields of special event management and professional sports.
The Championship Office Administration Intern will assist with the day-to-day administrative management of the Championship Office for the 2017 U.S. Open Championship, including advance preparation/set-up, Championship week responsibilities and post-championship breakdown.
- Answering phones, preparing mailings, opening incoming mail, UPS shipping/receiving.
- Answering incoming e-mails to the 2017 U.S. Open email account.
- Assisting with organizing all aspects of set-up and function of temporary USGA Championship Office unit.
- Quickly gain knowledge of the scope of the Championships and location of facilities, vendors, etc. in order to accurately and timely respond to all inquiries.
- Become familiar with various functions within the USGA Championship Office in order to identify appropriate area for assistance and resolution of any issues.
- Coordinate staff meal plans for USGA Championship Office, Operations Office and Volunteer Office, starting pre-championship until the opening of USGA Hospitality.
- Maintain all necessary office supplies and order items as necessary. May require local trips to pick-up any critical items as needed.
- Assist with scheduling meetings including room location, appropriate set-up, etc. as necessary.
- Assist in the taking and distributing of notes for Championship Office meetings as necessary.
- Assist in break-down of USGA Championship Office to include packing and shipping all items as necessary. Delivering items to various locations as required.
The intern will handle special projects which will arise in the months leading up to championship and during the event.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE USGA:
- Ability to work long and strenuous hours (40 – 60+ hour work week)
- Effective communication with a wide variety of individuals involved in a national championship
- Resourceful, presentable, courteous, friendly and organized
- Good follow-up skills and ability to handle issues quickly and calmly
- Ability to work independently and support the team
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office software - above average knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, & PowerPoint
- Ability to prepare presentations to include PowerPoint and printed material
- Demonstrated ability to follow and execute detailed plans – able to anticipate and analyze problems and provide logical solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure
To apply, please submit materials to: 2017 U.S. Open Championship Office Administration Intern.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Intern may perform other duties as assigned.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the USGA:
The USGA celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf worldwide. Founded in 1894, we conduct golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment and amateur status rules. Our operating jurisdiction for these governance functions includes the United States, its territories and Mexico. The USGA Handicap System is utilized in more than 40 countries and our Course Rating System covers 95 percent of the world’s golf courses, enabling all golfers to play on an equitable basis. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.