From the USGA Handicap System to national amateur championships, to modernizing the delivery of the game’s Rules and supporting sustainable golf course management practices, the United States Golf Association promotes the health of a game that inspires, challenges, and rewards like nothing else can.
Are you looking to join a dynamic team that works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf?
The USGA is seeking an attorney who reports to the Associate General Counsel and will work as part of a seven-member Law Team. This position will work directly with a number of teams within the USGA, including Information Technologies, Broadcast and Digital Media, Corporate Partners, Championships, Members, Merchandise, Museum, Public Relations and Regional Affairs, and may also handle matters relating to Intellectual Property, Human Resources and Governance.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Structure, draft, analyze and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements with an emphasis on complex technology-related contracts, including product development and software agreements and licenses, master services agreements, traditional broadcast and emerging digital and social media platform agreements, and data/intellectual property contracts and licenses.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance related to marketing, sponsorships, trademark and content licensing, product/service procurement, event production and management, public services and human resources.
- Assist with corporate governance for national non-profit association, including development and maintenance of policies, governing documents, internal training and related compliance.
- Assist with litigation, licensing, intellectual property and other association legal matters and new initiatives.
- Standardize templates, processes and legal guidance to improve efficiency and consistency of legal services across the organization.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE USGA:
- Admitted in good standing with 3-6 years of law firm and/or in-house experience.
- Excellent academic credentials.
- Strong commercial contracts drafting and negotiating skills
- Working knowledge of IT industry and outsourcing norms, practices and trends.
- Strategic thinking and analysis, creative problem solving, and collaboration with all levels of association management; service-oriented approach.
- General corporate governance and compliance knowledge.
- Team player who also demonstrates individual initiative and is comfortable working independently.
- Ability to manage and prioritize a large workload.
- Maturity and sound legal judgment.
- A working knowledge of the Golf industry is not required.
Please click on the following link to apply: Counsel
Liberty Corner, NJ
About the USGA:
The USGA celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf worldwide. Founded in 1894, we conduct golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment and amateur status rules. Our operating jurisdiction for these governance functions includes the United States, its territories and Mexico. The USGA Handicap System is utilized in more than 40 countries and our Course Rating System covers 95 percent of the world’s golf courses, enabling all golfers to play on an equitable basis. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer