From the USGA Handicap System to national amateur championships, to modernizing the delivery of the game’s Rules and supporting sustainable golf course management practices, the United States Golf Association promotes the health of a game that inspires, challenges, and rewards like nothing else can.
Are you looking to join a dynamic team that works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf?
The USGA is seeking a Sr. Director of Partnerships who will be responsible for the successful integration and ongoing service to the USGA’s corporate relationships, this role will lead the organization’s relationships with corporate hospitality buyers and marketing partnerships by defining, differentiating, and delivering a unique value proposition across a variety of customer needs and investment levels.
Since 2006 the partner program has included an elite group of corporate partners that work closely with the USGA and its various departments to enhance the association’s core functions and mission. Additionally, U.S. Open Championships operate with the support of over 200 corporate hospitality clients.
As the primary day-to-day liaison between all the USGA teams and functions and its key relationships, this position must identify mutually beneficial opportunities for partner integration with the USGA, establish appropriate financial considerations, understand and mitigate obstacles, effectively communicate internally and externally and ensure (and report against) the delivery of value to the USGA and its partnerships on an annual basis. This individual is a creative problem solver and constructive negotiator who thrives on improving and leading teams and multiple projects across various stakeholders and platforms.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Serve as the USGA’s primary day-to-day contact with existing corporate partners (specific partner assignments may vary) to deliver exemplary service and value, including:
- Contractual fulfillment of all elements within each partner agreement (golf outings, hospitality, print, digital and broadcast media, etc.)
- The implementation and integration of partners at USGA Championships and across USGA digital platforms including activation, reporting, special events, etc.
- The identification of new activation opportunities for existing partners, particularly within their core area of focus
- The coordination and development of new programs across USGA departments (e.g., marketing platforms, membership)
- The fostering of strong relationships across various teams, agencies, and key contacts
- Review and approval of all proposed uses of USGA marks
- Lead the evaluation of each partnership to the USGA and the partner itself. Work closely with partners and their respective agency teams to:
- Define key success metrics for each year of the partnership (for the partner and the USGA)
- Create comprehensive activation and project management plans to maximize value across multiple USGA functions
- Establish tracking methods to capture the relevant metrics and data needed to properly measure.
- Develop ongoing processes and/or meetings to discuss and identify wins and challenges
- Prepare recommendations, including the development of comprehensive recaps, to show delivery of value and ways to improve and enhance existing programs
- Manage third-party relationships with championship hospitality sales and servicing teams
- Define packages and pricing for all USGA championship hospitality offerings based on available inventory and profit models to maximize revenue and customer experience
- Set business policies and processes for sales and resell
- Oversee hospitality operations pre, during, and post championship including processes and decisions around: Sales process (timing, first right), Investments and expenses (budget), Database management and communication to buyers, Website content and customer journey, Hospitality-specific vendor expectations (e.g. catering and décor), Fulfillment, Barter or comp arrangements, Surveying / customer feedback
- Lead the development and maintenance of a USGA “Corporate Friends” roster including: Identify the “most important” corporate hospitality customers (past & existing) through collaboration with USGA corporate hospitality sales teams; Establish and maintaining relationships with appropriate contacts in the organizations (in close coordination with hospitality sales team);
- Assess opportunities to create incremental value for these partners (e.g. multi-year partnerships, added benefits, etc.) that will generate incremental revenue for the USGA;
- Collaborate with the USGA’s hospitality sales, marketing, and operations teams for the U.S. Open Championships to secure regional partnerships that elevate the championships in a given region. The oversight of the USGA’s regional supporters will also include management of partner activation in the respective market, as well as support for the implementation of regional supporters at the USGA’s amateur championship (executed by the host clubs) to ensure consistency in packaging, pricing, and execution.
- Liaise with USGA championship and marketing teams to establish a more consistent, integrated approach to the packaging and marketing of the USGA’s championships to corporate companies for their support (e.g., toolkits, clarification of rights, best practices, templates)
- Monitor corporate partner and non-partner integration across all USGA championships, including the review of packaging materials and proposals, differentiation of rights and attribution, and approval of ads
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE USGA:
- A BA/BS degree in Business, Marketing, or related field; or equivalent work experience required
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in sports sponsorship marketing or account management preferred
- “Passionate problem solver” mindset with experience creating, managing, and measuring multiple complex and integrated projects across several stakeholders and planning cycles
- Proven ability to partner, communicate, and collaborate across multiple disciplines and organizational groups
- Excellent relationship and account management skills
- Experience creating, managing, and measuring multi-platform digital and experiential activation programs
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and attention to detail
- Proven ability to establish, measure, and analyze results to drive growth and improvement
- Management and development of 5-6 team members
- Core understanding of the USGA and its Championships
- Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel and Word required
- Up to 20% travel is required.
Liberty Corner, NJ
Please click on the following link to apply: Sr. Director, Partnerships & Hospitality
About the USGA:
The USGA celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf worldwide. Founded in 1894, we conduct golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment and amateur status rules. Our operating jurisdiction for these governance functions includes the United States, its territories and Mexico. The USGA Handicap System is utilized in more than 40 countries and our Course Rating System covers 95 percent of the world’s golf courses, enabling all golfers to play on an equitable basis. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer