Golf is a game fueled by people with passion, integrity and drive. The newly created USGA Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the United States Golf Association, is recruiting leaders with these same values to advance fundraising and engagement.
We are looking for self-directed individuals who thrive in a collaborative work environment, and have successfully led fund development efforts for more than 5 years. With the goal of building a fundraising program that generates more than $25,000,000 in revenue each year, ideal candidates demonstrate the ability to see the big picture while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
Reporting to the Head of the new USGA Foundation, the Director, Marketing and Donor Engagement will lead a team tasked with expanding the supporter base of golf’s leading philanthropic organization. Responsibilities will include optimizing donor satisfaction, and driving revenue through a wide range of engagement activities and channels, and improving donor experience.
An immediate key function is creating and activating an identity for the new development effort. The Director will craft and execute the Foundation’s marketing strategy and multi-channel content while leveraging digital technologies.
Key measures of success will include maximizing donor revenue through data-driven acquisition and development campaigns, impact-focused communications and enhanced engagement. This position overseas supporter and investor events, donor experience, and other initiatives that grow the USGA Foundation donor base.
Warren, NJ 07059
What You Can Expect:
- Team and Project Leadership: Conceive and execute marketing strategy and creative direction for the USGA Foundation including vision, budget, project management, key performance indicators, and long-term strategies. Recruit, lead and inspire a growing team of Manager-level direct reports focused on content & storytelling, digital marketing & social media, events & donor experience, and membership & annual giving. Manage relationships with vendors to ensure contracted services fulfill pre-determined scopes of work on-time and within budget.
- Digital Donor Experience: Lead results-driven campaigns across key digital marketing channels: including email web, social, and partnerships. Serve as thought-partner regarding marketing platforms, apps, and USGA.org to optimize the USGA Foundation’s digital communication and marketing. Develop and build identity of the USGA Foundation, awareness, relevance and credibility among target audiences. Lead data-driven marketing strategy, including the end-state vision of how we use consumer data and insight to drive segmentation, targeting, messaging, and CRM.
- Communications and Content: Conceptualize and develop engaging and emotional creative (concepts, content, and designs) for the USGA Foundation that is tethered to the USGA brand. Manage the editorial processes involved in creating impact reports and donor communications. Oversee strategy for additional, incremental, and upgraded giving. Innovate and implement a social media strategy; direct design, production and distribution of all Foundation content. Utilize surveys and data to drive more effective donor communication. Measure, track and analyze results of marketing and communications initiatives to determine effectiveness. Reimagine donor stewardship communications.
- Engagement, Events and Experience: Design vision for donor and investor experiences – from transformational level investments to broad-based micro-gifts. Oversee strategy, calendar, execution, budget, and metrics for donor relations activities, engagement and revenue-producing events, and tailored experiences. Develop annual event goals, themes and concepts including run-of-show programs, and video content to enhance program success including Foundation events and the Foundation’s role in USGA events including the Annual Meeting, the US Open, symposiums, and Cocktails & Conversations. Supervise staff around events preparation, production, and management of logistics, timelines, budgets, and metrics. Design a menu of opportunities to engage supporters and creative ways to demonstrate return on investment to show impact and appreciation – and inspire donors to increase and diversify their support.
What You Bring to the USGA:
- A bachelor's degree plus ten years of marketing and management experience is required.
- Extensive work in a nonprofit setting is highly desired, and ideally with a sports organization. Exposure and/or deep understanding of the fundraising landscape with special attention to digital fundraising.
- Experience in e-commerce a plus – as well as Adobe Analytics, AEM, and creative and social platforms
- Emphasis on experience working in donor relations, donor stewardship, event planning and communications within a development environment.
- Knowledge of digital marketing principles and current nonprofit fundraising best practices a must.
- Ability to design and execute annual marketing and engagement plan with timelines, and expense and revenue projections.
- An understanding of segmentation and prospect identification strongly preferred.
- Experience with community engagement and event production preferred.
- Demonstrated ability and experience building strong trusting relationships with internal and external partners.
- Understanding of the importance of brand identity.
- Track record of influencing others to make philanthropic giving decisions.
- Curiosity, strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to follow systems and procedures while also exhibiting creative thinking.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Initiative and competency to take ownership of specific projects.
- Experience working with CRM tools including Salesforce, and project management software.
Please click on the following link to apply: Director, Marketing & Donor Engagement
About the USGA:
Are you looking to join a dynamic team that works together to promote and conserve the true spirit of the game of golf?
From the USGA Handicap System to national amateur and open championships, to modernizing the delivery of the game’s Rules and supporting sustainable golf course management practices, the United States Golf Association promotes the health of a game that inspires, challenges, and rewards like nothing else can.
The USGA celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf worldwide. Founded in 1894, we conduct golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment and amateur status rules. Our operating jurisdiction for these governance functions includes the United States, its territories and Mexico. The USGA Handicap System is utilized in more than 40 countries and our Course Rating System covers 95 percent of the world’s golf courses, enabling all golfers to play on an equitable basis. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer