Omaha Country Club has enjoyed a rich tradition since its chartered members filed for incorporation on Sept. 30, 1899. But it would be nearly a half-century later before world-renowned architect Perry Maxwell was commissioned in 1952 to undertake an extensive renovation of the club’s existing golf course.
Maxwell had designed several high-profile courses in the Midwest, including Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan., site of the 2006 U.S. Senior Open, and Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Okla., which has hosted multiple U.S. Opens
Maxwell’s project included changes to the fifth, sixth 10th and 12th holes. He shortened the fifth hole and lengthened Nos. 6 and 10. He also relocated the green at No. 12 and completely rebuilt green complexes. The result was a golf course that distinctly has Maxwell’s stamp. The undulating greens, with their “Maxwell rolls,” are reminiscent of his other masterpieces at Southern Hills, Prairie Dunes and Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas, site of the 1991 U.S. Women’s Open and annual home to a PGA Tour event.