NCR Country Club was created by Stanley Allyn during his tenure as president of National Cash Register (NCR) as a world-class recreational facility for NCR employees. Allyn was a golf enthusiast and a member of the PGA’s Advisory Committee when the PGA Championship was conducted at neighboring Moraine Country Club in 1945.
John H. Patterson, founder of NCR Corporation, strongly believed that a company provide recreational facilities and programs for its employees. The company’s first golf courses were built in 1914 and the game was widely accepted by NCR employees. In 1918, the course and park area were deeded to the city of Dayton for the enjoyment of all its citizens and is known now as Community Golf Club.
The present-day NCR Country Club opened in 1954 with a pair of championship layouts (North and South courses) designed by Dick Wilson, whose original works also include Doral Resort and Spa (site of the 2013 Copa de las Americas), the Dubsdread Course at Cog Hill (site of the 1997 U.S. Amateur) and Bay Hill (site of the 1991 U.S. Junior Amateur).
Allyn’s philosophy was to have NCR Country Club offer the finest in all categories of service for National Cash Register employees. The company gave the courses and charming colonial ranch-style clubhouse to the employees. The 350 acres that encompass all of the facilities are now owned by the NCR Employees Benefit Association.
NCR’s South Course, which will host the Women’s State Team Championship, is the better known of the two 18-hole layouts, having been the site for the 51 st PGA Championship in 1969 won by Raymond Floyd, the 41 st U.S. Women’s Open won by Jane Geddes in 1986, the 1998 U.S. Mid-Amateur won by John “Spider” Miller and the 2005 U.S. Senior Open won by Allen Doyle. The heavily-wooded layout features plenty of doglegs, bunkers and thick rough. It also has been listed among Golfweek magazine’s Top 100 Classical Courses.
The prairie-links style North Course, which won’t be used for the championship, is slightly shorter and puts a premium on shot management and finesse.
The current 40,000 square-foot clubhouse opened in June of 1994 in the exact location of the original edifice, offering panoramic views of the two finishing holes on the North and South courses.
In 2001, NCR Country Club expanded its amenities to include a 4,000 square-foot Pool and Fitness Complex with an Olympic size pool, casual dining area and workout center.