Omaha Country Club has enjoyed a rich tradition since its chartered members filed for incorporation on Sept. 30, 1899. But it would be nearly a half-century later before world-renowned architect Perry Maxwell was commissioned in 1952 to undertake an extensive renovation of the club’s existing golf course.
Maxwell had designed several high-profile courses in the Midwest, including Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan., site of the 2006 U.S. Senior Open, and Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Okla., which has hosted multiple U.S. Opens
Maxwell’s project included changes to the fifth, sixth 10th and 12th holes. He shortened the fifth hole and lengthened Nos. 6 and 10. He also relocated the green at No. 12 and completely rebuilt green complexes. The result was a golf course that distinctly has Maxwell’s stamp. The undulating greens, with their “Maxwell rolls,” are reminiscent of his other masterpieces at Southern Hills, Prairie Dunes and Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas, site of the 1991 U.S. Women’s Open and annual home to a PGA Tour event.
Another significant change to the club occurred in 1927 when the original clubhouse was replaced with a newer version that was situated atop a hill, far from any signs of city life. That clubhouse remains in existence today, although in 1998, some extensive renovations took place providing more dining and private function space.
In 2005, members decided to undertake a multi-million dollar renovation of the golf course that was overseen by Keith Foster, who also restored Maxwell’s designs at Southern Hills and Colonial. The renovations brought back many of Maxwell’s strategic features.
The 2013 U.S. Senior Open will be the club’s first USGA championship and just the third USGA event ever held in Nebraska, following the 1941 U.S. Amateur at the Field Club of Omaha and 1996 Women’s Amateur at Firethorn C.C. in Lincoln.