When Essex County Club opened in 1893, it was the first nine-hole layout in New England. Upon Donald Ross' arrival in 1910 to the Manchester-by-the-Sea, Mass., club, the course went through a major re-design, but the third green was kept. It remains the oldest continuously used green complex in the United States. Ross worked at the club from 1910-17.
Essex also became the sixth member club of the USGA, following the original five of Shinnecock Hills, The Country Club, Newport Country Club, St. Andrews and Chicago Golf Club.
Essex was also the home club of Harriot and Margaret Curtis, who claimed a combined four U.S. Women's Amateur titles and donated the trophy for the Curtis Cup. The Cup was presented by the sisters in 1927, but the Match didn't officially begin until 1932 at Wentworth Golf Club in England. This will be the second Curtis Cup contested at Essex, the first being in 1938.