Bradley Bastion, 28, Clinton Township, Mich.
- Advanced to the quarterfinals in his first U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship after defeating Dan Sullivan, 1 up, in the Round of 16
- His only other USGA championship appearance came at the 2010 U.S. Amateur Public Links, held at Bryan Park Golf & Conference Center (Champions Course), Greensboro, N.C.
- Shot a career-low 66 in the second round of 2013 U.S. Open sectional qualifying at the Bradenton, Fla., site and missed the playoff by one stroke
- At the Michigan State Amateur, he reached the semifinals this year and the quarterfinals in 2011
- Recently graduated from Oakland University in Michigan and works as an insurance broker
Kevin Marsh, 40, Henderson, Nev.
- Advanced to the U.S. Mid-Amateur quarterfinals for the fourth time after edging Keith Unikel, 1 up, in the Round of 16, and defeating defending champion Nathan Smith in the Round of 32
- Won the 2005 U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship when he defeated Carlton Forrester, 10 and 9, at The Honors Course in Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Won the Southern California Golf Association (SCGA) Amateur Championship in 1996 and 2008 and owns two SCGA Four-Ball titles
- Inducted into the Santa Barbara (Calif.) Athletic Hall of Fame in 2010
- Works as a commercial real estate developer
Michael McCoy, 50, West Des Moines, Iowa
- Advanced to quarterfinals for the third time at the U.S. Mid-Amateur after upending Zach Atkinson, 2 and 1, in the Round of 16
- Playing in his 38th USGA championship, including 14 U.S. Mid-Amateurs (advanced to match play 11 times) and 13 U.S. Amateurs
- Also played in this year’s U.S. Senior Open at Omaha (Neb.) Country Club and the 2013 U.S. Amateur, held at The Country Club, in Brookline, Mass.
- The 10-time Iowa player of the year has represented his state six times at the USGA Men’s State Team Championship
- Graduated from Wichita State University in 1984 and works in the insurance business
Kenneth McCready, 25, San Diego, Calif.
- Playing in his first U.S. Mid-Amateur and third USGA championship; also qualified for 2005 U.S. Junior Amateur and 2010 U.S. Amateur
- Endured nine operations in the last six years, including three ankle surgeries, and was in a wheelchair last year following final ankle surgery in 2012
- Graduated with a degree in marketing from the University of San Diego in 2011 and competed at two NCAA Division I championships as a member of the golf team
- Grew up in Placerville, Calif., a small town near Lake Tahoe, and his sister, Kimberly, played golf for the University of Oregon
- Works in the golf shop at Riverwalk Golf Club, a municipal course near San Diego
Todd Mitchell, 35, Bloomington, Ill.
- Finished as runner-up to Steve Wilson at the 2008 U.S. Mid-Amateur, held at Milwaukee Country Club in River Hills, Wis.
- Playing in 15th USGA championship and sixth U.S. Mid-Amateur.Defeated John Engler, 3 and 2, to reach the quarterfinals
- Won four Illinois Mid-Amateur Championships (2008, 2010, 2011, 2013) and two state amateurs in 2002 and 2003
- Drafted by the New York Yankees and played two seasons in the organization’s minor league system as a shortstop
- Earned all-conference honors as a member of the Illinois State baseball team and now works as an insurance agent
Matthew Schneider, 25, Grand Rapids, Minn.
- Playing in his first U.S. Mid-Amateur and fourth USGA championship, including the 2010 U.S. Amateur and 2012 U.S. Amateur Public Links
- Reached U.S. Mid-Amateur quarterfinals by defeating Craig Smith in 19 holes, his second extra-hole victory of the championship
- Earned first-team all-conference recognition at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, where he was he set the golf program’s career mark for scoring average (74.43)
- Recorded three tournament wins at Bowling Green, the most by any golfer in school history
- Works as a golf shop attendant at Sugar Lake Lodge, in Grand Rapids, Minn.
Ken Tanigawa, 45, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Has advanced to the quarterfinal round in his first U.S. Mid-Amateur appearance after defeating Keith Humerickhouse, 4 and 3, in the third round
- Played in four previous USGA championships, including the 1984 and 1985 U.S. Junior Amateurs and 1985 and 1989 U.S. Amateurs
- Born in Kobe, Japan but moved to Los Angeles at age 3 and eventually played golf as a collegian at UCLA
- Played on the Japan PGA Tour for six years but was reinstated as an amateur in 2012
- Runs a manufacturing business in Japan with his brother
Bill Williamson, 33, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Playing in his eighth USGA championship and third U.S. Mid-Amateur and represented Ohio three times at the USGA Men’s State Team Championship
- Advanced to the U.S. Mid-Amateur quarterfinals for the first time with a 5-and-4 victory over Joseph Saladino, which bettered his Round of 16 appearance in 2006
- Named 2012 Greater Cincinnati Golf Association Player of the Year and won this year’s Greater Cincinnati Mid-Amateur
- Finished as runner-up at 2010 Ohio Amateur and also placed second at the 2004 and 2012 Ohio Mid-Amateur
- All-Conference golfer at the University of Akron and was selected twice to the CoSIDA Academic All-America Team
Brian DePasquale is a manager of championship communications for the USGA. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.