Austin Smotherman, 19, of Loomis, Calif.
- Born May 19, 1994, in Loomis, Calif.
- Sophomore at Southern Methodist University
- Second Team All-Conference USA in 2012-13
- Competed in an impromptu putting contest with George Lopez, Fred Funk, and Greg Norman after a round at Del Monte Golf Course in Monterey, Calif., in 2011
- Playing in his fourth USGA championship – previously participated in three U.S. Junior Amateurs
- At the 2013 APL, has defeated Andy Drohen (first round), Thomas Lim (second round) and Sean Knapp (third round); has trailed for only one hole in his first three matches
James Erkenbeck, 23, of San Diego
- Born Aug. 26, 1989, in San Diego
- Graduated from the University of New Mexico in 2013
- Won two collegiate tournaments in 2012-13, including the NCAA Columbus Regional; earned Mountain West Player of the Year honors; represented the United States on the 2013 Palmer Cup team; 19th in World Amateur Golf Ranking
- Playing in his fourth APL; lost to future PGA Tour winners Rickie Fowler (2009) and Harris English (2011); qualifying medalist at 2012 APL at Soldier Hollow (7-under 135), but lost to Alex Edfort in the first round
- At the 2013 APL, has defeated Justin Wenger (first round), Brandon Cigna (second round) and Mario Clemens (third round)
Zecheng Dou, 16, of People’s Republic of China
- Born Jan. 22, 1997, in Beijing, China
- Still makes his home in Zhengzhou, China, but spends the majority of his time in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., to take advantage of better weather and a greater variety of golf courses and practice facilities
- Finished 33rd in the 2013 Volvo China Open
- Playing in his third USGA championship – advanced to the third round of the 2012 U.S. Junior Amateur and missed match play by one stroke at the 2012 APL after four-putting the final green
- At the 2013 APL, has defeated Cameron Harrell (first round), Sam Saunders (second round) and Sam Horsfield (third round)
Jordan Niebrugge, 19, of Mequon, Wis.
- Born Aug. 4, 1993, in St. Louis
- Sophomore at Oklahoma State University
- Honorable mention All-American in 2012-13; runner-up in two collegiate events; 2011 Wisconsin State Open champion; 2013 Wisconsin State Golf Association Match Play champion; 114th in World Amateur Golf Ranking
- Playing in his third USGA championship – lost in first round of 2009 U.S. Junior Amateur and advanced to second round of 2011 U.S. Junior Amateur
- At the 2013 APL, has defeated Michael Schmitmeyer (first round), Kyle Weldon (second round) and Justin Shin (third round); has not trailed in any of his matches; has played only 44 holes in his first three matches – the fewest of any remaining player
Robby Shelton IV, 17, of Wilmer, Ala.
- Born Aug. 25, 1995, in Mobile, Ala.
- Will attend the University of Alabama in the fall
- Winner of the 2013 Junior Byron Nelson Award and represented the United States in the 2013 Junior Ryder Cup; in 2012, won the Junior PGA Championship and Junior Players Championship; was the top-ranked player in the Golfweek/Sagarin Junior Rankings; 16th in World Amateur Golf Ranking
- Playing in fourth USGA championship – participated in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 U.S. Junior Amateur; lost to Jim Liu in the semifinals in 2012
- At the 2013 APL, has defeated Brett Patterson (first round), Derek Fribbs (second round) and Ian Davis (third round)
Michael Kim, 20, of Del Mar, Calif.
- Born July 14, 1993, in Seoul, South Korea
- Junior at the University of California-Berkeley
- Named to the 2013 USA Walker Cup Team
- Won four collegiate events in 2012-13; Pac-12 Conference Golfer of the Year; first-team All-American; represented the United States on the 2013 Palmer Cup team; won the Jack Nicklaus Award and the Fred Haskins Award; second in World Amateur Golf Ranking
- Playing in his fourth USGA championship – quarterfinalist at 2012 APL, lost in first round of 2012 U.S. Amateur and was low amateur by five strokes at the 2013 U.S. Open, tying for 17th place
- At the 2013 APL, has defeated Brandon Hortt (first round), Lucas Kim (second round) and Mitchell Rutledge (third round)
Eric Sugimoto, 19, of San Diego
- Born Nov. 1, 1993, in Narashino, Japan
- Junior at the University of the Pacific
- Won the individual title at the Big West Conference Championship
- Playing in his first USGA championship
- At the 2013 APL, tied the 18-hole stroke-play record with a first-round 63; qualified third in stroke play (63-72–135); has defeated Tyler Klava (first round), Kevin Josephson (second round) and Cameron Peck (third round)
Kyle Henning, 21, of Brookfield, Wis.
- Born Jan. 27, 1992, in Brookfield, Wis.
- Senior at Valparaiso University
- Selected to the All-Horizon League Team in 2012-13
- Played varsity basketball all four years of high school
- Playing in second USGA championship – did not qualify for match play at 2012 U.S. Amateur
- At the 2013 APL, advanced to match play in a 13-for-11 playoff; has defeated Xander McDonald-Smith (first round), P.J. Samiere (second round) and Carlson Cox IV (third round)
Compiled by Michael Trostel, curator/historian of the USGA Museum. Email him at email@example.com.